Friday 6 September 2013

Training session

Saturday's training session was tough!
It has been a long week with high stress levels at work. Stress always seems to take more out of me  I'm not sure why? Perhaps it's my Stoma or perhaps as a manager my role is to keep my personal stess levels in check? Coping with stress can be stressful  itself!
Either way it'd been a long week ; )

So I arrive at my gym at 8.30 Sat morning ready to meet Phil (my P.T) I knew today was 'workout B' my least favourite of the two circuits, as it is also my weakest. ; )

Warm up went well, even though this did work up quite a sweat.  It was then time for the squat rack. This is an excercise Ive always had concerns with. My operation and stoma has left my core weak with scars tissue etc. Ultimately a stoma is a piece of your intestine pulled through a hole in you stomach. This makes for compromised stomach muscles. Hernia's are a constant concern, however,  I trust Phil, I trust my body.

We start off slow just the bar (yeah just the bar...still 20kg!!!) I have realised over the months I have worked with Phil, technique is everything. We get the first set of front squats done...I'm feeling good. We then progress to some weight.

This is only my second time in 'the rack' and last time created a weird injury in both my middle fingers?? Weird right? Well this created a negative anchor for this excercise.  I think a weak wrist means my grip just isnt right. I bearly make it through my first set before the niggle starts acting up. Like I said...listen to your body. Mine just said enough! I had to ditch the bar twice before I finnaly said to Phil "this isnt happening"
In my opinion as any real P.T should Phil didnt push. He knew all this would achieve was less commitment, poor technique and risk an injury.

We changed to back squats added more weight and (apart from final set) managed to push out 4 more sets.

So managed to finish off a tough session, proving a stoma IS just another obstacle to overcome. Listening to my body is vital to avoid injury and ultimately stay positive and focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment