Monday 23 September 2013

Nuclear Blackout

So I survived my first endurance race...just ;)
Been wanting to write a review of one of my races since I started this blog. Lactic Rush and Nuts would have to be a reflection on my memories of the day.  So thought Id take the opportunity and write about Nuclear Blackout while the memories were fresh. Although trying to condense my thoughts and feelings and a review was proving challenging to squeze into one blog post. So I have decided to spread it over multiple posts....enjoy :)


Nuclear Blackout 2013

Prep (and nerves) started early in Saturday. I knew it was going to be a long day so I made sure Id got a decent amount of carbs. My other races were morning starts where I'd only just manage to choke back some porridge. I knew id need to fuel. God I was right

Race start was 6.45pm and I hate being late. So at about 5pm I said goodbye to Carley (my wife) and my son Jack. Due to timing of the race they wouldn't be able to watch tonight. Actually thinking about it, this was the first one of my races I'd ever been to on my own! The journey was only 30 mins and as I got closer, I wont lie I got a little nervous.  I finally arrived. I pulled onto the field expecting to see a half full car park.  Well at 5.30pm I was the only the third car to arrive.  At first this worried me then I kinda felt priviledged.  I knew this was a first for Nuclear Races and was glad I would be one of the first to try.

I wandered into the registration tent to utilise the free key drop.  As I signed in I noticed the entrance list was.....short.  As I looked at the list it suddenly clicked.  The race was low tech and all we had for registration as a wristband confirming we had paid.  Until this point I hadn't noticed the number hand written on my band.  I then found out this number corresponded to the order of sign up.  Turns out I was number 1! So I had been the first idiot to sign up for this night endurance obstacle race. At first I didn't know what to think about the small number of entrants.  Then remembering Lactic and 'Nuts' I realised less runners = no obstacle bottlenecks.  So I got my game face on and started to warm up. 

It was at this point I started to think about how or what I would write in this blog.  Something else I couldn't stop thinking about at this point and became a subject of discussion with my fellow runners was how many laps would I run.  As it turn out for many of the people I spoke to this was also their first endurance race.  Then it was time we gathered at the start for a safety briefing.  Confirmation 2 hours as many laps as we dare, oh and that there would definitely be water

The countdown began and we were off

 Lap1 Twighlight....to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment