Friday 27 September 2013

Snap Crackle and Pop

Strange isn't it what triggers a memory.

I fancied a change to porridge and saw Jacks rice crispies. As I added the milk I was greated by the familiar snap, crackle and pop! 

Randomly this sound triggered a memory of my first meal in hospital after my operation. For the first few days after I was allowed back on solids all I ate were rice crispies. To be fair I remember very little about the days immediately after my operation I was still on fairly high levels of morphine. ;)

It has then made me think how memories are not often triggered by a sound, a smell or some sort of visual stimulant. I was introduced to NLP (Nuro Linguistic Programming) during a training course at work. I dont pretend to be an expert but the example above is an NLP 'Anchor'. A positive or negative feeling embedded in our subconcious that is triggered by a sight, sound or smell.

A certain song will just make you smile, fresh cut grass can trigger a memory of a particular summer event, personally the smell of southern comfort makes me feel immedtaiely ill (this is due to a rather excessive consumption during my late teens which ended in a 2 day hangover!!)

Slightly sidetracked but the sound of rice crispies really took me back. Perhaps its also since writing this blog I have begun to reflect on my journey more than I have in the last few years?

I have also spoken to a contact at 'Beating Bowel Cancer' charity and yesterday and we discussed a possible PR article or being a BC Voice promoting awareness. (which will be a real honour) Perhaps it was speaking to them about my journey? It has been a while since I've told my full story especially wit the latest fitness additions. I've never really understood or agreed but people have told me my story is inspirational, I have just seen it as my story, my life, not inspirational just doing what I needed to ge through each day. But if it really is inspirational then I'm genuinely honoured that a small insight may inspire others to push their boundaries.

All that from a simle bowl of rice crispies ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment