Wednesday 18 September 2013

Car racing is a type of sport...right??

So..ok not really a mud run or training post but wanted to share anyway. Yesterday was my first sports car track day.

When I arrived I had the tough choice of which 2 cars I wanted to drive. An Aston Martin, Ferrari,  Lamborgini, massarati, Porsche, Audi R8 or an Ariel Atom. What a choice right ; )

So had the be the Atom not a car you see often on track days apparently?? And to be honest had to tick the box of driving a Lamborgini Gallardo.

So I wasnt dissapointed! 3 laps in the Lambo first. Ill be honest not a mad driver. Im fron Essex but no boy racer. So my first lap was a bit...well slow!

The acceleration caught me by surprise. However,  I also hadnt anticipated the breaking speed. I was lifting off to early and applying the breaks far too quickly. On the second lap I got a bit more confident. That said im about 6'2" and the leg room awasnt ideal as my legs rested on the bottom of the steering wheel. So really not comfortable chucking it through the 2 x chicanes. Still a Lamborgini!! I had a grin like a kid just pulling away and cruising onto track at 30mph!!!

3 laps was over quickly and then a short wait for the Atom!!

WOW!!!! this made the lambo feel like a family saloon. As you can see from pics if youd never seen an Atom before its scaffolding with and engine and 4 wheels. In addition the instructor in the Atom was superb. Talking me through the track when to accelerate break turn in etc   Damn this was fun!!!! If you ever get a chance to try this DO IT!! I managed to secure a discounted Amazon voucher so was a real bargain : )

I know its a tenuous link but racing is a form of sport.. right?

Anyway I thought about not posting, but this blog is a log of my ups, downs, highs and lows. This was defo a high so hope you don't mind me sharing. Plus life is too shirt as any cancer survivor knows. I dont subscribe to the Y.O.L.O (you only live once) philosophy, but hey...lige would be boring without some fun right ; )

Will also post soon about Nuckear Blackout soon. The nerves and prep about Saturday's night endurance race.. Blimey I'm worried I may of bitten off more than I can chew this time : (

No comments:

Post a Comment