Tuesday 24 September 2013

Lap 1 Twighlight

Lap 1: Twighlight

At this stage it was still twighlight. Not in an over moisturised vampire or pretty boy werewolf way but just enough light to see where you were running.
The course started off with approx a 2km run through farmer fields and across the odd ditch. So far so good not too challenging . At this point we came across the first few obstacles. Big haystacks piled 3 high, a fallen log to tackle. Again not too bad. The Farmyard manure pile was interesting as each step you took to climg the mound you sank a little further. Luckily didnt smell too bad.

So far nothing too unexpected. This was shortly followed by 'hopscotch' tyres. As long as you were careful again not too tricky. At this point the light had begun to fade. Decided this was a good time to turn my headlamp on. I turned out of a field through some trees and was met with the first water obstacle, a river crossing.

As expected as you waded in the mud at the bottom of the lake was thick. Almost lost a trainier with second step my middle of the lake. Before I knew it I was up to my neck in cold water (which was actually quite refreshing after the first 2.5k of running) I managed to clamber out using the handy ropes for assistance. Then as I looked up there they were my nemesis....THE MONKEY BARS!!

Although last time I faced them I managed to get snapped for an epic pic I hadnt made it across. As it was now getting quite dark it made the task a little more challenging. Some of my fellow runners decided to drop in and wade over and not even attempt them. I had promised myself at the start of these adventures I would not miss any obstacles. I therefore reached forward and grasped the first bar. The upper body work is obviously starting to pay off as I easily managed to get accross. I set off with a little spring in my step and a smile on my face. Remember that when I start detailing subsequant laps ;)



Next was some 5ft ish round hay bales. These were a little bit more challenging than they looked but over I went. Some more running through the forest before another water obstacle, a rather smelly bog. Not as deep as the lake crossing but definatly muddier! Then came obstacles 10,11,12 and 13, plastic coated bales, Cargo net Climb, the tyre pit and bollards. these were nicely spaced out with some forest and fields. As I ran through the forest I could hear the noises and see the lights for the finish. The last obstacle before the finish straight was a cheeky little ramp. Easy enough but after 5km of running the legs were a little tired. I crossed the finish line in just over 40mins and lap 2 began!

No comments:

Post a Comment