Wednesday 11 September 2013

Stoma, what the hell is a Stoma?????

Hi all,

As per my last post I spent some time looking on google to see how best I could define a Stoma, here is what I found. I hope its of interest? Let me know!


An ileostomy is a surgical procedure to link the end of the small intestine to an opening in the abdomen (stoma)

In an ileostomy, the end of the small intestine (the ileum) is disconnected from the colon (large intestine) and re-routed through a hole made in the abdomen, which is known as a stoma. An external bag (stoma bag) is attached to the opening to collect waste products.
An ileostomy is a relatively common surgery. In England, an estimated 9,000 are carried out by the NHS each year.



When is an ileostomy needed?
An ileostomy is needed when the colon (large intestine) is damaged, inflamed or loses function. It is also used to treat some types of cancer, where it is necessary to remove part or all of the colon.


Types of ileostomy
There are three main types of ileostomy:
• loop ileostomy
• end ileostomy

Loop ileostomy
During a loop ileostomy, a loop of the small intestine is brought out through the stoma. The procedure is usually only used as a temporary measure when it is necessary to remove part of the rectum. Once the remaining colon has healed it can be reconnected to the small intestine and the stoma can be closed.
Loop ileostomies are often used to treat bowel cancer.
End ileostomy
During an end ileostomy the colon and rectum are removed and the end of the ileum is brought out through the stoma and attached to an external bag. An end ileostomy is usually permanent.

An ileo-anal pouch (also known as a J pouch) is sometimes used as an alternative to an external bag. This is an internal pouch surgically constructed from the small intestine and connected to the sphincter muscle that surrounds the anus. It means bowel actions can be controlled in the normal way.
Ileo-anal pouches are now preferred because they eliminate the external bag. However, they are not suitable for every patient. Disadvantages include having to go to the toilet frequently to empty the pouch.



So there it is, never thought this blog would be educational :) I have and will make reference to 'my bag', 'ileo' or 'stoma' regularily throughout these blogs. So thought it was good to share what these unusualy terms were :)

As I have already said my reasons for sharing are not for sympathy as my stoma in reality stops me from doing very little. My op was 6.5 years ago, but, I have a 5 year old son and I am traininig in a gym or running 5 days a week! Oh thats whilst trying to keep down a stressful career in Sales, look after our new puppy and try and spend some quality time with my wife!!! So all in all regardless if you are or are not an ostomist a hectic lifestyle :)

Oh....and for the record right now I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. stoma can be a bit painful but it is an essential procedure for the health of GI tract in some cases

    ReplyDelete