Wednesday 25 September 2013

Lap 3 man vs cramp!!

Lap 3: Man vs Cramp!!!

Ok so I wont lie I was ready to give up. My legs were getting sore and the cold water induced cramp was officially here to stay. As I continued on track I was lapped by one of the front runners. It was at this stage I realised this was the first time I had been passed...by anyone! I started in approx middle of the pack so I must still be there! I continued with my head held a little higher :)

By the time I had made the river crossing my run had slowed to barely a jog. At this point I was joined by 2 other runners Simon and Kevin. I'd met Simon during the first 2km of the event while it was still light. Simon had run a few of Nuclear races events and this was Kevin's first event. I owe them alot! We were all tired but continued to motivate each over to keep going and finish the second half of our 3rd lap.

Just before we reached the final obstacle I had to encourage Simon and Kevin to go on without me. Both calves were screaming in full cramp. With each step I was in more and more discomfort. Phil has subsequantly told me cramp is a fierce muscle contraction and causes temporary muscle damage.He also suggested that it was actually the smaller muscles around my calves that were causing the cramp as they desperately struggled against the uneven surfaces. The last 1 or 2km was the toughest of my life. If I wasnt in the middle of a forest, if it wasnt dark and if I wasnt so damn stubborn...I would of quit! Finally heard the music and lights of the finish so I knew I was close. The forest opened and I reached the final obstacle. The ramp! With every last ounce of grit and determination I managed to drag myself to the top and literally flop over the other side. I was glad the soil used to stabalise the ramp was nice and soft.

That was it I had used the last of my energy reserves. My legs were destroyed but I limped on.

At this stage I was aware of another light behind me. I turned to see a fellow mudstacle member Natahan. (Ill post another blog about mudstacle but basically a forum of mud runners sharing experiences and writting reviews, well worth a look!)I had been talking to Nathan at the start of the race and he could see I was in alot of pain. He grabed my arm flung it over his shoulder and helped me limp over the finish line. just over 2 hours 25mins and 15km...DAMN!!

With every race I have completed its hard to find the words to describe the feeling of crossing the finish line. This occassion was no different. With the additional physical challenges being an Ostomist presents I feel a real sense of pride everytime I cross the line. This race was no exception well after I managed to get over the pain. Id actually say that this time the sense of achievement was greater as this event had pushed me beyond my perceived physical limits. A new P.B. and a new benchmark in what I thought I could achieve.

Bring on the next mud run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment