Wednesday 16 October 2013

Its often the little things that you miss.......



We have always tried to read Jack a story at betime. Infact he has quite a collection and some are a little strange. The Dinosaur that poop'd Christmas is an especially strange but that is another story.

Whilst reading one of Jacks favourites 'Pooh is that you Berite' (a follow up book to Dirty Bertie) another good read. Blimey not sure if i am writing a blog about my life or starting to write reviews of childrens books?? ;)

Anyway the book is basically about farting. How Bertie farts in inappropriate places and is told off for it. Then how the people who tell him off also fart but disguise it. Trust me the book is funnier than my terrible overview.

Well this got me thinking whilst telling people about my story I have always tried to be open and honest about having a stoma. The good, the bad and the unusual. Well one thing that having a stoma does effect is the ability to fart! Yes you may smile but as my digestive system is not connected in the usual way this is an impossible task. I would trade alot to be able to pass wind again ;)

My stoma does pass wind but not with the same satifaction you get for the traditional way. I have no control of the output and gas comes with its own challenges of an inflated bag! I can hold my own with the best of you reagrding 'smell' On occassions releasing air from the bag or 'gassing' can be quite bungent.

I'm not going to go into detail about some of the more graphic of issues my operation and stoma present, just trust me that some of them do take some getting used to.

Throughout this blog I have been/will be aiming to raise awareness about many of the challenges faced by Ostomists. But also that the limitations do not stop us, they just mean we need to adapt, to evolve. A rather unusual post I know but just another insight into the world of an ostomist.

As with everything in life its often the little things we miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment