Friday 4 October 2013

Is it all sunshine and rainbows??

So hopefully if you have read my previous blogs you will now know what a stoma actually is. Well someone suggested I share a little more about my experience.

When I was told I had Cancer believe it or not this was actually easier to deal with than being told to fix it I would have a stoma! Weird right? The disease that could've killed me didnt scare me as much as the soltion that ultimately cured me??

In the few weeks between being told what a stoma was and my operation I made the horrible mistake of 'googling' what a stoma looked like. I DO NOT recommend this! The internet is only full of pics of operations gone wrong, complications etc. I think this will be one of the main reason why for the few days before my operation I recall vivid knightmares and waking up in a sweat screaming... get it off,. get it off!

On the day of my operation things didnt go smoothly either. My operation ended being longer than anticipated due to some complications. I can only imagine the stress this put my wife, mum and step dad through. It all stared with an epidural that just wouldnt work.

For those lucky enough to of had this experience while fully awake they place a small needle into your spine. The guy doing mine mustve been a trainee as the first attempt sent a shooting pain in my kidney, the second my right arm before they finnaly gave up an sedated me. Unfortunatly due to the complications the incision was made higher than anticipated so the pain relief didnt exactly cover that area. I was highly drugged but even now I recall flashes of the recovery room and pain, lots of pain!

As I was nil by mouth for most of the time I was in hospital and for people following my blog I lived on Rice Crispies. It therefore wasn’t till I was at home before having to deal with the stoma and my new digestive system really took effect.

With a lack of large intestine the output was/can be very smelly and a very liquid consistency. The large intestine is responsible for extracting water from our diets. This is also the reason Ostomist must be aware of dehydration. Well embarrassingly this smell was more than I could handle and although I can laugh at it now the first few days I emptied and changed the bag with a clothes peg on my nose ; )

The design of the stoma bags allows you to empty them as they fill. Many people do not realise I have no control on output. It ultimately happens when the limited space I have is filled. This often means that food can be passed through my system rather quickly. The bag has a finite capacity and can also fill quickly.

Changing the appliance (bag) is required daily and this is in my experience the biggest challenge to overcome. Seeing part of your insides on the outside is a bit on a mind f**k.

Reading this honest account of my first few weeks with a stoma may scare people. Don’t let it!

It took me a number of months and some counselling till I realised that my stoma was/is actually not only responsible for saving my life but also in its own way making it better.

Yes I would be lying if I said it was all rainbows and sunshine as I still have my low days. However, 6.5 years after my Stoma Op I am fitter than I have ever been in my life. My aim is by end of 2013 to complete 7 challenging 6k+ cross country obstacle events. These each push my physical boundaries. Even possibly the physical expectations of an Ostomist.

Whilst pushing myself to overcome my physical challenges it has also made me mentally strong. I owe allot to this weird little appendage and bag!

I have a 5 year old son, a job I love, a good circle of friends, a wife that has been with me as my rock every step of the way..... life is good thanks in part to this weird little appendage.

No comments:

Post a Comment