Tuesday 8 October 2013

Ice, Ice Baby!!



So I do not class myself as an athlete. However, with my new training regieme and the events i have completed over the last few months my body is definately feeling the strain.

For those that have read my Nuclear Blackout review you will know that this was my toughest yet made even harder by an intense cramp after 12k.

So what exactly is cramp
cramp = muscle paralysis: temporary loss of function in a muscle or muscle group caused by repetitive use or overexertion ( thanks wikepedia )

I think Nuclear Blackout & 15k in the dark qualified as over exertion. Its been 2 weeks since a run so on Sunday I geared up and set off at a steady speed. First few km were ok. As I neared the 5k mark the forest hills started to take their toll. 

Perhaps this was the mistake? Perhaps I should of just stuck to a road run. Problem is if it isnt off road it just doesnt feel the same. So ended up pulling short of 6k. My right leg and knee just started to niggle. As I had said before we have to listen to our bodies. :)

Thankfully I had already booked myself in for Sport massage. Timing was ideal. Although I cant say it was relaxing as it was actually quite painful! Emma (the sports therapist) warned that as she had worked the muscle quite hard, it could bruise.....It did :(

She also reccommended.........an ICE BATH!!!


So After dinner I ran the bath with nothing but the cold tap. God it was cold. The type of cold that just takes your breath away. with whatever dignity I could I lowered myself into the bath. Much to my wifes amuesement as she looked on.

I sat in the bath for about 10mins. I then immediately got into a hot shower. My legs were then overcome with...well the only way I can describe it is pins and needles. Not the painful type you get when your leg goes to sleep, but a very strange sensation.Actually thinking about Iit, it was more like having a shower after too much sun ; )




I woke up this morning and legs felt good. Well apart from the pain from the bruising. Managed to get a new conditioning workout done this morning. Fortunatley not too much leg work.

I have another ice bath planned tonigh, rest day Wednesda, then......

The new version of marmite Workout B!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment