Monday 21 October 2013

Back from The Trenches.....

Back from the Trenches and back to normality today, still reflecting on Saturdays event. It was definately alot of fun but not really the toughest event of my 2013 calendar. I had felt a sense of achievement after all my events, but this was...different?

Perhaps it was the weather making the obstacles more challenging?
The river crossing was the most memorable, just due to the tempurature of the water! A number of runners had to be rescued or once entering the icy depths immediately retreted to the jetty. I must admit by half way across as I started struggling to catch my breath in the cold, I did think they had the right idea.

The running element was a mixture of paths and steep and slippy hill climbs and descents. One of which got the better of myself and a few other competitors. We ended up sliding into each other on a rather steep decent. This resulted in a rather embarrissing 'man sandwhich' with the gentleman and lady infront of me. Good job everyone is in good spirtis at these events ;)

Was it the fire jumps? But they were more asthetic than challenging. They will hopefully make a good picture as a course photographer was cleverly placed at this obstacle.

Perhaps conquering the electrical fence? I had been anxious about this one for a week or so before the event. To be honest, this also wasnt as challenging as I feared. With a slow and cuatious approach I managed to negotiate without a single jolt! Glad I did as some of my fellow runners did seem to get a few nasty zaps!!!!

Whilst preparing to write this blog and as typing away I think I now know why I'm felling the way I am. Hopefully I can explain. The worse part of the entire event was the 15 min walk from the car park to the start/finish of the race. Unfortuntaly this was a solo event and a bit last minute so no cheerleaders this time.. I wasnt sure if there was a secure bag drop so I left my change of clothes in the car. At the end of the race as I was wet, muddy and therefore getting a little cold I took off my top and walked back to the car shirtless.

The multiple times I had crawled and waded through mud had also left a nice gritty feel in all my clothing. I wear high wasted lycra boxers that come up over my bag, securing and hiding it. On the way back I rolled the waist down and with my finishers medal around my neck proudly walked to the car with my bag clearly on display.

Yes, I got a few funny looks. Despite all the training Im no adonis (yet) ;) This is the first time I have been anywhere in public with my bag on full display. It actually felt good as it was clear that I had just completed the event (the medal and the fact I was covered in mud were a good indicator)

Its taken 6 nearly 7 years and 4 events over 12 months in the gym to gain this level of body confidence, and you know walking back the the car wearing my medal and bag with pride.....it felt good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment