Tuesday 1 April 2014

What does not kill me makes us stronger

The last 2 weeks have been manic! Yes running 2 OCR races in 7 days did push me mentally and physicall, but the last 2 wees have been challeneging for other reasons too. In the weeks before these events I have been taking a new course of steroids (Since my follow up Sigmoscopy) to keep my remaining UC under control. I have had some interesting side effects.

Numbness on the right hand side of my face, general fatigue and some pretty impressive nightmares are my favourites. This has had a knock on effect to my training as my early morning gym sessions have often been only @ 80% fatigue really got me. After Blackout I wasn't even sure if Id make it around the hilly Trenches 10km. (pleased to say I did!)

One thing I have realised since I decide to train is that physical fatigue is often an acceptable side effect. If your training 5 days a week (and I mean training properly, not sitting on the bench checking your facebook)then your body is going to have a few aches and pains. That's why rest days are so important.

Personnaly the physical fatigue is often drowned out by the mental buzz that training running and getting muddy gives me. I'm sure there is a medical term for the endorphins that are released shortly after exercise, whatever, its addictive. However, couple this with mental fatigue and things start to take on a slightly different picture (well for me at least) This last month has been one of the toughest physically and mentally that I have had to face for a LONG TIME!
This brought me spiralling down.

Good news is my results came back and all is clear! I'm steadily reducing the dosage of steroids and the side effects have all but dissapeared. All a big weight off my mind ; )
WHAT DOESNT KILL ME MAKES ME STRONGER. My tattoo has never made more sense ; )

Im working on my reviews of Blackout and Trenches. 2 AWESOME events! Hoping to have the video soon so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment