Monday 28 April 2014

Beating Bowel Cancer Patient day 2014

Saturday 26th April, Beating Bowel Cancers 2014 Patient day.

I've been looking forward to this yet anxious about it at the same time.
Its an opportunity to meet some fellow bowel cancer fighters and survivors. Everyone (as always) was so welcoming.

As you may of already seen from a previous post I also had the honor of one of my 2013 OCR pictures being chosen for the cover of the patient day magazine and programme. Was a bit weird wandering around or sitting in the seminars looking over and seeing my ugly mug on the cover ; )


During my professional career I have attend a number of exhibitions and seminars. This as expected followed a similar format. A couple of main seminars and some more focused side seminars/groups. Everything was professional organised. The only real difference for me that these weren't talks on business economics, new product launches or the 'new' direction of the business. This was way more intimate. The topics (obviously) much more personal.

I attended the opening speech from Mark Flannagan CE of Beating Bowel Cancer. Again the sincerity and obvious drive to make a difference was overwhelming! 

The next seminar was from Dr Mark Saunders on 'Personalized medicine: why do some treatments work and others don't?' 
Not much more to say really as the seminar title covered it well. 

The one thing that soon became apparent was the sheer volume of medication available to 'treat' cancer and the fact that as of yet we could not be 100% as to if the prescribed medication would work for patient 'A' but wouldn't for patient 'B'. It is almost like your consultants need to make a 'best guess' on which (rather expensive) medicine would work. I must admit I was shocked by some of these statistics. 

As the seminar finished and I reflected on what Id heard an overwhelming wave of relief came over me. Relief that I had been so fortunate that my battle with cancer required none of these medications and their inherent side effects. 
Then as I heard people talking and asking questions about their medicines this relief turned to guilt. Guilt that I had been so fortunate and apart from total removal of my large bowel my 'experience' had been fairly simple. I felt a little awkward, strange right?

As I wandered back into the exhibition hall I then began to realize that I was so fortunate with my experience because of early diagnosis. My 'guilt' then turned into a refreshed determination to raise awareness of symptoms and do what little I could to help. 

Next was a seminar was on advances in Bowel surgery. Ill be honest wasn't sure about this one kinda just followed the crowd. However, im glad I did. I learned about something very personal. My scars. 

The talk focused on laproscopic surgery (key hole) I was aware I was fortunate to have my operation performed this was. It resulted in minimal scaring and a much quicker recovery, but, as the talk progressed I realized how lucky. 

My operation was in 2008. During his talk Mr Arulampalam discussed how he was an early adopter of key hole surgery. He then presented some statistics (these may not be 100% as they are from memory) It seemed that back in 2008 only 5% of surgeries were performed laproscopicly. With recent campaigns increasing this percentage in 2013.

Once again I began to realize just how lucky I had been. It was like the planets had aligned and all criteria for this "less intrusive" surgery had been present.  In medical terms my procedure had been in its infancy.

The talk then moved onto advances in key hole surgery including robots, and an interesting video of a remotely performed key hole surgery. Truly groundbreaking!! 

My first patient day and a sharp reminder of the battle that others still have. I often take allot of my story for granted. I say I was lucky, but without these groundbreaking procedures and diagnosis all the luck in the world may not of been enough.

 Don't get me wrong it has been tough. Often more than you would realize ; ) But seeing how my procedure was cutting edge, how early diagnosis allowed for swift actions. I am truely grateful to my surgeon and her team. It was all such a whirlwind I had never considered how things 'could of been' Scary thoughts ill try not to dwell on. ;)

Overall patient day has reinforced my focus on trying to raise symptom awareness early diagnosis saves lives. It saved mine!





No comments:

Post a Comment