Friday 21 March 2014

An Ostomists Knightmare - THE BLOWOUT!!!

Time to share another exciting insight into being an ostomist.

Thursday morning on the way to work, sat in traffic I had a strange sensation a build up of pressure then a feeling of sudden release in my stoma. I initially thought it was simply some poorly digested food. (I really need to chew more! sorry crude but true) Unfortunatly I was not so lucky. My bag adhesion had failed :( Im not just talking a small leak, I mean a complete failure!

I have been trying to think how best to describe this. When you were a child did you ever finish a carton of Ribena, then inflate the carton and stamp on it? Sorry for being crude/graphic but you get the idea.

This is the first time in a long time that I have had a 'blow out'

This isnt to say that the bag was entirely to blame. Over the years I have learned that there are a number of factors that contribute to this issue. Everything from adhesion issues to poor application. I have found as a general rule issues tend to be more commonly poor application.

If the area around the stome is wet, (weeping from a previous leak) or hariy. Yes hairy!

WARNING OSTOMY VANITY: Male Ostomist have to regularily shave our bellies and around the stoma site!

Anyway, luckily for me I discovered the blow out before it became too much of an issue. I managed to turn around make it back to home for a quick bag change and still get in work unharmed and in time.

Just another event in an ostomists day ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment