Saturday 31 May 2014

Wow! That was close!

My training regieme regularily changes. Every 4-8 weeks Phil mixes things up still moving towards my overall goal but keeping my body guessing. No getting complacent ; )

Well this new stage starts with the old reliables Deadlifts and Squats. These are coming on nicely actually weights starting to move up. Deadlifts at 4x 8 reps @96kg and squats same having just moved to 77.5kg! :)

Anyway, these are followed by a 10min high intensity session. This consist of 2 different movements. For example a bench press with a 22.5kg dumbell in each hand followed by bodyweight pulls with an added 5kg on my chest. But there is the catch. They are back to back. No rest, one movement straight to another! You start with 5 reps of each. When you reach a point where you cant push out another rep, you drop to 4 etc etc. You continue this for 10mins. Always looking to beat your last 'score'

And yep, its as tough as it sounds. It defo gets the heart pumping and in the recent weather...SWEATY!!

Whilst its always good to share my training regieme to show having an Ostomy means you can still train, this isnt the reason for this blog.

During a recent session I was about half way through and was pressing the 22.5kg dumbells. Fatigue had kicked in, I was struggling. Thats when it happened. My right arm just wouldn't hold and the dumbell dropped. Id always joked about dropping a weight on my head or face, but this was worse. It dropped and landed on my stoma!!!

I felt immediatley sick. I wasnt sure if this was through pain or shock. Either way I felt the blood drain from my face and I was extremely worried.

If you haven't read my previous blog on what is a stoma, essentially it is a delicate part of my small intestine that pertrudes from my stomach. So, very delicate. In the split seconds immediately after the worrying thought flew through my head. What if I had damaged my stoma. What the hell would happen!!!

Luckily or perhaps a reflex had caused tge weight to hit my hip just below my stoma and not the stoma itself.  When I realised this I cant explain how relieved I was.  I composed myself and finished the workout.

The following few days had knocked my confidence a bit. I strarted to worry had I bitten off more than I could chew with all the OCRs in 2014. Each one was upping the game pushing me to my limits. Injury is always a worry to any competitor. But what if I damaged my stoma!

These thoughts were hard to shake and I honestly thought that I may not finish everything I had planned for 2014. I have too much to lose!

I continued to train but my heart wasnt really in it. My next session with Phil was exactly the same workout.  I think Phil knew I was worried. When we reached the presses I felt that Phil had moved a little closer. He was there incase it happened again. Im pleased to say that I pushed through with no incidents.

I must thank Phil. In my opinion this is the sign of a good trainer. He knew I was worried. But instead of change anything he just gently pushed me and was there should anything happen. 

My confidence returned. I realised that I could injure myself in normal life. Because of my training over the last few years it has actually made my core stronger.

We all lose confidence, but we have to look deep inside. If something is worth doing it will always have risk.

WHAT DOESNT KILL US MAKES US STRONGER ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment