Tuesday 6 May 2014

To swim or not to swim...that is the question

This will only be a short blog as I'm working on something about the lead up to Rush. This event is special to me as it marks the anniversary of my first OCR. Anyway dont want to spoil my blog ; )

This weekend Jack wanted to go swimming to show me how he now goes on the water slide. Of course how can you say no?

Despite what you may think about me and what you may think if you have read my blog, I am still very body concious. Especially when swimming. When running, competing or in every day unless you know, you would never know I have a stoma.When swimming I feel that I my bag and scars are really visible. Plus for some reason swimming makes my bag feel 'strange' I cant explain why, it just does.

So for me swimming is a real challenge. But thats what I do right ; ) I was outside of my comfort zone. The biggest part is getting changed. Every time I have previous swam I had changed in a cubical.

Well Sunday I decided enough is enough. I talk about raising awareness and how we shouldn't be ashamed of our bags. Time to do what I preach. So I sucked it up and got changed in the communal area.

Now here is the part of the story I hope you smile. My stoma bag is just that a plastic bag. It doesn't dry very well. In fact it can take some time to air dry. So I noticed something unusually for a male changing room..... a hairdryer.

I made a bold decision and in the middle of the changing rooms wearing nothing but my boxers I began to 'hairdry' my bag. Must admit got a few strange looks, but needs must right ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment