Saturday 10 May 2014

Full circle

Tomorrow is Nuclear Rush. 

Its a special day in my 2014 race calendar.  Yep its a home town race and get to meet up with my Nuclear family, but, its also the anniversary race when my love for OCR began.

May 2013 I had been training for about 6 months. When I started I could barely run around the block let alone a 10km OCR.
I ran, I got muddy...and I loved it! 

It was the first time since my operation and battle that I'd done something I NEVER would of done. Post Cancer me had pushed the boundaries of what I thought was possible.  what I thought I coukd do. From that day I decided to never look back, to keep pushing.
2013 Rush was fun, emotional and tough with many many memories. But for me while I write this I have one memory that will stick with me forever.

Nearing the end of the course was a lake crossing, as I entered the murky water I looked up and saw Carley (my wife) and my son Jack (thats the back of his head in the grey hoody) both beaming with pride as I waded through. I wont lie in the picture below I have a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. I will never forget the look on Jacks face as he shouted "DADDY!!" to get my attention. If you have kids you'll know what I mean. His face was covered with happiness and pride. Something I will never forget!!




Its been 12 months since that race. That was really the catalist for everything that has happened. I want to thank Nuclear races. If it wasnt for such a great event I mayve just given up there. 
Plus I have had the priviledge of meeting and making some great new OCR mad friends (you know who you are) ; )

I Won't lie still nervous about the race tomorrow as I was 12 months ago. Nuclear races have upped their game and the obstacles are MONUMENTAL! My go pro is charging as we speak so Im hoping to capture every muddy mile from 1/4 pipe to zip line.

It will be an emotional race @Rush tomorrow And once again Carley and Jack are hoping to be there.

See you in the mud NUKERS #LOVEMUD

No comments:

Post a Comment