Friday 15 January 2016

Scanxiety...

Hi...so i am fairly sure I have blogged about this before?

Scanxiety is the anxiety brought on by a pending scan or scan results.

It's a term I heard a few years ago. I think it's such a perfect way of describing how you feel when waiting for a scan or scan results.

Well, as I write this I am actually sat in an actually hospital Endoscopy waiting room, waiting for my name to be called.

So you could say my scanxiety is high at the moment.

Now this is a feeling that I felt before. This year is nothing special. (I've had to have this scan at least once a year for the past nine years. In the early days was every 6 months) so it isn't the procedure that I'm anxious about. I know what happens. How it's feels. I won't lie it isn't pleasant but it's over fairly quickly.

I think this year I'm feeling more scanxiety because of the date.

This is the first time I can recall my scan being almost exactly the same time as my first ever scan . I'm also also aware it means the results letter should also arrive around the same time I was diagnosed in February.

Coincidences I am sure. But it doesn't help add to the scanxiety.

In addition as some of you may know I still need a fairly major op to remove my remaining rectal stump. This still has UC and as this developed into cancer before they need to keep an eye on it.

I was told the op must be within 5 years of my original operation. Feb this year is my 9th Cancerversary. So I am also aware I can't delay this operation forever.

People tell you to be positive, that everything will be ok. Think of how much stronger and fitter you are now compared to 9 years ago.

Well 9 years ago I thought I was fine...I feel fine today...What's different?

Anyone that has had to battle cancer and one shoukd agree. You do lose trust in your own body. I didn't know the tumor was there 9 years ago....who is to say there isn't another one hiding there today?
This isnt being negative..just realistic.

It's a worry, a nagging monkey on your shoulder that I think never truely goes away.

So...there it is..scanxiety. I hope you never have to experience it, however, if you do at least you can label it and know that you are not alone.  No one is ever truely alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment