Thursday 25 September 2014

Clinimed O2 walk

So as some of you may remember from an earlier post I have written some blogs and articles for my stoma bag supplier Clinimed/Securicare.

Well Im biased as they have been not only supportive but their service is a life saver! You know sometimes I even forget I am dealing with a company as it feels like an extended family or like some of the dealings with the charities, anyway I digress.
I was contacted and asked if I would like to take part in a walk across the O2 to raise some awareness and some donations for Bowel Cancer.

Well how could I say no? I'll also be honest it has been on my to do bucket list since I heard you could do it

As always the Clinmed team were great. As I have started to realize when a group of strangers get together to do something.... different a nervous excitement takes over as you all move outside of your comfort zones.

Actually, perhaps that's it? It's this addictive nervousness that you get before you do something for the first time that keeps me looking for my next fix! It doesn't have to be a race or OCR.

 

Anyway, as we arrived I realised just how high the O2 actually is! Plus what you don't realise is the  walkway is actually wobbles!. It's not a solid floor it bounces and flexes. That and it is steep! Im not too great with heights luckily the walkway is only 20ft or so away from the top of the dome, so while you going up it doesn't feel that high. That is unless you look back.

  

I also learned about allot of O2 statistics.  It wasn't simply constructed, some elements are actuially very well designed. ;)
  • Top Of Dome is 50m high!
  • Its twelve 100 m-high yellow support towers represent each month of the year or each hour of the clock face, representing the role played by Greenwich Mean Time
  • In plan view it is circular, 365 m (one metre for each day in a standard year) in diameter
Clever right!

  


If you ever get the chance to experience this I HIGHLY recommend it!






Once again my journey over the last 18months has presented me with so many unique opportunities, meeting so many inspirational people, how can I stop now?

The real question I ask myself is...What do I do next!

No comments:

Post a Comment